Monday, October 27, 2014

Reactive Attachment Disorder

A little over 3 years ago, we brought home a beautiful little girl. We will refer to her as "D". We were so excited to have 2 kids and complete our family (our son is biologically ours). H (as we will refer to big brother) was excited too. But what we didn't know then that we know now, is that our lives were about to change drastically.

Why you ask? Because D was "smart", as they told us at the orphanage a dozen and some odd times. We wondered why they kept telling us this, and what exactly they meant. Throughout these past years, we have come to understand that her "smartness" is her ability to survive. And that's all she knew of. She would push me away, sometimes wrap her hands around my throat. We were shocked, and I was frightened. I didn't want to live like this, but I knew I didn't have a choice. I needed to fight.

D was diagnosed with reactive attachment disorder. Her behavior consisted of pushing the people who love her away, and trying to connect with anyone in her line of sight. People at the grocery store became her biggest fan. She would pick fights with her brother to try and get him into trouble. She could never sit still and was always talking.

Fast forward to the present. D is in first grade and is the smallest in her class (and probably will always be). She loves to socialize, and be in control of just about anything. She has changed me for the better - more outgoing and social. I had no choice but to adapt when she would speak to strangers.

We still battle with her to use the washroom, do her homework, and stop antagonizing her brother.
This is the story of my life with a R.A.D. child and a son (who has minor special needs as well).

I want to create an audience that see's what we go through everyday, and to raise the awareness.

Please follow along, share, and comment. I would love to hear your thoughts.


~Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment